The south Korean people strongly oppose the ¡°National Security Law¡±
The south Korean people¡¯s struggle for the
total abolition of the NSL, main obstacle to independence, democracy and
reunification, has been intensified as days go by. The struggle has been
vigorously waged in different parts of
Sept.11- The Reunification Solidarity issued a statement titled ¡°Let us frustrate the moves of the pro-American conservative and anti-reunification forces to keep the NSL.¡±
Sept. 14- The Youth and Student Committee of the Headquarters for Promoting Joint National Functions called a press conference in front of the National Assembly building and issued a declaration of youth and students demanding the total abolition of the NSL.
- The Ulsan Citizens Solidarity for
the Abolition of the NSL called a press conference in front of the
- Thirty six civic organizations including the People¡¯s Solidarity for Participatory Democracy, the Green Korea United and the Women for Peace released a joint declaration for the repeal of the NSL.
- The Citizens¡¯ Association for Abolition of the ¡°National Security Law¡± released a commentary criticizing the move of the GNP to keep the NSL.
Sept. 15- The Citizens¡¯ Association
for Abolition of the ¡°National Security Law,¡± the
- The Daejeon Citizen Solidarity for Abolition of the National Security Law was formed.
- The Amnesty International called a press conference in
Sept. 16- More than 80 prominent figures of all social standings including Lee Young-hee, former professor at Hanyang University, lawyer Choi Young-do, Rev. Ham Se-woong and chief of the National Institute Paik Gi-wan held a press conference in Seoul, demanding repeal of the NSL.
- Members of Buddhist organizations including co-representatives
of the Buddhist Human Rights Committee Jin Gwan,
- A rally for proclaiming the struggle for total abolition of the NSL was held in Busan.
- The chairman of the Uri Party insisted on abolishing the NSL by the end of this year.
- The Democratic Labor Party launched a one million signature
campaign for the abolition of the NSL on the street in front of the party
building in Yeouido,
- More than 80 figures including president of Sangji University Gang Man-gil, former chairman of the Lawyers for Democratic Society Lee Don-myong, representative of the Association for Press Kim Jung-bai and honorary professor at Seoul National University Lee Sang-hee called a press conference to strongly demand the abolition of the NSL.
- The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, in a press conference held at the building of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, demanded abrogation of the NSL.
Sept. 17- The South headquarters of the National Alliance of Youth and Students for the Country¡¯s Reunification issued a statement titled ¡°The Grand National Party, stop working to mislead the public opinion about the NSL, the worst evil law.¡±
Sept. 18- The one million signature
campaign, propaganda activities and all-people grand march for the abolition of
the ¡°National Security Law¡± took place in various parts of
Sept. 20- The criminal law-related
organizations held a press conference in
- Members of the Busan-South Gyeongsang Provincial Area Committee of Struggle in Prison went into a hunger strike in prison, demanding the repeal of the NSL.
Sept. 21 -The Korean Council of Youth Organizations called a
press conference in Yeouido,
Sept 22- Artists held a press conference in
Sept. 23- The Women¡¯s Action for Abolition of the National
Security Law consisting of more than 30 woman organizations called a press
conference in front of Myongdong Cathedral,
- The National Solidarity for Abolition of the National Security
Law held a press conference in
- The Council of National Women Student Representatives issued a declaration demanding abolition of the NSL.
Sept. 24- Nineteen organizations of Koreans in the
- Wanted men of the Gwangju-South Jeolla Provincial Federation of University Student Councils called a press conference and made public a press release titled ¡°Totally abolish the NSL, anti-human rights and anti-reunification evil law, without precondition.¡±
- A forum
under the subject ¡°Total abrogation of the NSL or substitute legislation¡± was